Monday, June 17, 2013

I Am The Idiot (a Doctor Who commentary)

What was I thinking. I could have dug into it last year, when I got a new Wii complete with ability to watch YouTube. I could have been absorbing Doctor Who ever since then. But stupid me, I didn't even try to dig into Matt Smith's era as the Doctor until he announced that he is headed out the door at the end of 2013, leaving with one last Christmas Special before turning the TARDIS over to the 12th Doctor.

Stupid me. I had a few years I could have absorbed and assimilated Matt Smith's Doctor Who, but fool that I am I didn't do it until now, at the end of his run... and now honestly is the worst time to realize I will actually miss him as the Doctor. Too late for words, too late for sentiment or protest. Too late, far far too late.

But it wouldn't matter at any rate. It's not the death of Spock all over again, and even if it was no massive fandom campaign will change anything... at best maybe Matt Smith will be like David Tennant, and occasionally return to do Anniversary stuff, or audio dramas for Big Finish. Just as long as he is not a new Christopher E., Still going through his I Am Not Spock phase to the disgusting depth that he snubbed Doctor Who fans by refusing to participate in the 50th Anniversary Doctor Who Special in Late November. I understand his reluctance, but sometimes as a fan one has to just put one's hoof down, unleash FlutterRage, and declare enough is enough. And really, C.E., I had had more than enough of your abusive I Am Not Spock whining. You already horribly mangled one of GI Joe's best villains, Destro, but this is too much!

But C.E. is not my biggest regret, nope, that is reserved for my future failure to qualify for a Matt Smith interview before the end of 2013. I have at least a open the door level of experience, I have been reviewing and interviewing for 11 years, not counting my early years in fandom newsletter publishing. I do have some good interviews on my resume, and been reviewing in the US and the UK... yet somehow that never seems to be enough.

I shouldn't despair but... sigh... it's hard to feel upbeat if you feel you don't measure up. Good reason if any to roll up my sleeves and work harder. Then file my request in August and take my chances. Updates coming soon on my first summer interview requests coming shortly by the way.

Well I may be late to the party, but we have some months to grind a bit of Matt Smith Doctor Who, be it BBC or IDW comics so join me won't you? Content coming up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment