Saturday, February 23, 2013

FYI This Week


FYI
Publishers Week 3

Now that we are rolling again full time... once RKYV Online #55 releases... anyway it's time to once again say hi to the publishers, and learn the 2013 ground rules.

Mind you back in the early 21st Century, when I worked for Comic World News and Comic Book Insider I already had contact with the likes of Dark Horse and MARVEL Comics pre Disney... and I tried to contact DC but I think they turned me down. But that was then, this is now. So far I have done 2 waves of contacts to date.

Wave 1 - DC Comics, IDW, MARVEL and Valiant.
Wave 2 - Dark Horse and Dynamite

From this so far I have come to the following conclusions.

- All responses to date have been... random.

Dynamite and IDW took 1 day each to respond. Valiant it was almost two weeks, and it was a press release as opposed to a proper greeting email.

- All responders to date are publishers I have no prior experience with. Valiant I am still befuddled about personally.

Lets see... I am on the PR mailing list for Valiant, but I am waiting on my first press release from Dynamite.

I am told Dynamite will help me with reviews, but they didnt say how yet or if that includes review material requests. I did send an email for verification... haven't heard back from them yet.

Valiant? No contact emai so no idea where I stand on either interview requests or review material requests.

Best thing to do right now, I think, is stick to the plan. Do my research, prepare reviews and get ready to drop my first interview request... but still, even with the news I am getting? This is very little to work with. So that is where we are right now. We are onto week 3 of FYI, and over the halfway point of the month, and I have made contact with three publishers.

News on upcoming releases? Got that from IDW and Valiant... still waiting on Dynamite.

Interview requests? IDW... and MAYBE Dynamite.

Review Material Request? IDW... well actually its 5 page previews so my RKYV Online article will be called "Tickle Your Fancy" utilizing my preview rating system.

Now explain to me how a five page preview can violate an embargo.

Dynamite I have that vow of assistance, but need to gather more information on what that means.

So, in actuality, to date I am at the minimum in regards of review material requests. Maybe that will change with further contact with Dynamite and Valiant... stay tuned.

Admittedly I am the most perplexed by my contact with Valiant. From listening to the podcast Only the Valiant I actually had a warmer, more interactive and open image of Valiant in my mind when I contacted them. But this? Confuses me. I think I will drop an email on Only the Valiant to see what they say. Stay tuned.

Well thats it for the week behind the scenes. Next week? We'll look at some of the new stuff I'm writing up for http://rpgunite.blogspot.com, so see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment